The talk is for doctors and any members of the healthcare team who want to learn about approaching the topic of reproductive history in a way that fosters trust and sets the tone for a positive relationship with the patient. This is for any specialty because, even when reproductive history isn’t pertinent, the topic is often brought up as a way to establish a rapport with patients. What may seem like innocent questions and comments, however, can actually lead to significant painful emotional reactions, damages the doctor-patient relationship and erodes the trust of physicians and healthcare in general.
- Why reproductive history can be a trigger whether you have children or not and how it impacts your relationship with your patient
- Why you shouldn’t be asking or commenting about things like “when are you going to have a/another child?” when it’s not relevant clinically
- How to approach the history in a sensitive manner when it is clinically pertinent
- How to address the issue when there is a painful history
- Resources for your patients who need help with an emotionally painful history