Uplevel those lemon poppyseed muffins with chia!
Chia seeds are a superfood packed with fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids. Just 1 oz of chia seeds provides 11 grams of fiber – including both soluble and insoluble fiber.
Insoluble fiber stays intact during digestion and helps stool move along your system because it makes the stool looser and softer.
Soluble fiber absorbs water/turns to gel; it creates bulk and makes us feel full.
Both types of fiber are beneficial for your body
They’re also a good source of calcium, iron, and zinc. These nutrients can help improve your health in a number of ways, including:
- Boosting your energy levels
- Improving your digestion
- Lowering your cholesterol levels
- Reducing your risk of heart disease
- Protecting your skin from sun damage
- Promoting weight optimization
Chia seeds can absorb more than 10x their weight in water – which makes it a great food to add to your diet if you’re looking to feel satisfied for a long time without needing to eat a lot – as in trying to optimize or maintain your weight.
Bonus – you don’t even need to cook them! Sprinkle on cereal/yogurt/oats, add to smoothies, or add to baked goods.
And because they hold so much water, it can help maintain hydration
But definitely do NOT eat them dry – doing so can absorb the water in your body and potentially cause a blockage.
And to be honest, I use the zest of an entire lemon for every partial lemon recommended by the recipe).
These freeze well so make a batch and have a few at a time for snacks or pop them as a treat for the kids’ lunches.
From Dr. Erin Presant of MedicineofYum.com
2 cups almond flour
1.5 cups rolled oats
3 T chia seeds
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup grated white (or any other color) carrot
1/2 c honey
Zest of one lemon
1/4 c lemon juice
1/4 melted coconut oil
1 c fresh or frozen (drained) blueberries (optional)
– preheat oven 350°F
– combine dry (first 4) ingredients
– in a separate bowl combine remaining ingredients (be gentle if using blueberries)
– mix dry and wet ingredients until just combined
– spoon into prepared muffin tin 25-30 min. Or mini muffins (adjust time accordingly)
– enjoy right away, store in airtight container, or freeze to be eaten on the go!