fbpx

Kickbacks are the Root Cause of Medical Supply Shortages

Marion Mass, MD, writes about how shadowy wealthy corporations have been collecting government sanctioned kickbacks for decades, harming your wallet, and putting your medical care at risk.

May 20, 2022

In this series on the outrageous cost of American health care, we’ve described certain shadowy corners of the business.

After all, only 27% of our health care dollar goes to practitioners, those who treat us. The other 73%? If you only knew.

Have you ever heard of Group Purchasing Organizations (GPOs)?

They’re gigantic corporations, middlemen, that control the health care supplies of the hospitals and nursing homes in the United States, including masks, drugs, medical devices, and solutions. The cost of these supplies can be as high as 40% of a hospital’s overhead.

That overhead is passed on to you.

 

Only 27% of our health care dollar goes to practitioners, those who treat us. The other 73%? If you only knew.

 

A report in 2012 from the congressional Government Accountability Office noted that six GPO middlemen “accounted for nearly 90% of the market.” These middlemen are among America’s Fortune 500; they’re some of the fattest cats you’ve never heard of.

The pandemic of 2020 has now unmasked the ugliness behind the shortages in America’s health care supply chain.

When COVID-19 first surged in the United States in March, the public heard reports that health care workers didn’t have enough N-95 face masks and other personal protective equipment (PPE).

Incredibly, even when PPE was donated, GPO middlemen blocked the donations from getting into hospitals. In some cases, physicians were terminated if they used their own PPE.

 

Even when PPE was donated, GPO middlemen blocked the donations from getting into hospitals. In some cases, physicians were terminated if they used their own PPE. Click To Tweet

 

Reports have surfaced also of shortages of common drugs, like dexamethasone — a generic steroid, now a mainstay in treating COVID-19 — and of desperately needed drugs used to intubate patients and treat depression.

Yes, the mask is now off, and we can see “the problem” in the supply chain of America’s health care industry.

 

Video from SoMeDocs.

 

GPO middlemen have been around for over 100 years. But the beginnings of their stranglehold over the supply chain go back to 1987.

Your stories live here.

That year, the United States Congress created a “Safe Harbor” provision in the Social Security Act, allowing the GPOs to extract kickbacks from manufacturers of medical supplies. The kickbacks, an unpleasant word — the industry-preferred term is “rebates” — are like recurring tolls that manufacturers pay to get their products into the hospital and nursing home markets.

 

How are these kickbacks related to the shortages exposed by COVID-19?

For one thing, the burden of kickbacks has tended to reduce the number of manufacturers for supplies and medicines. The wealthiest manufacturers can afford the kickbacks. Smaller competitors have tended to disappear.

To carry the load of the kickbacks, the surviving manufacturers have reduced labor and other costs by pushing production to places like China, where problems with quality control are chronic, and where masksgowns, and equipment that are too often unusable have originated.

After decades of the “Safe Harbor’s” operation, when it comes to many products, we’re down to single (“sole”) suppliers that have sent their production capabilities offshore. Those suppliers must pay the GPO toll collectors, who have also locked the hospitals and nursing homes into exclusive buying contracts.

 

we’re down to single (“sole”) suppliers that have sent their production capabilities offshore. Those suppliers must pay the GPO toll collectors, who have also locked the hospitals and nursing homes into exclusive buying contracts. Click To Tweet

 

Reliance on “sole suppliers” leads inevitably to shortages. Hundreds of drugs and solutions — chemotherapies, antibiotics, and anesthetics — have been on the list of known shortages for years in some cases. Most are common, generic medications.

When we’re down to “sole suppliers” and their manufacturing capacity is outside the United States, our ability to respond to sharply increased demand or to compensate for breakdowns in the manufacturing process is severely limited.

 

Economics 101.

When buyers can’t make choices among competing suppliers, what happens to cost and quality?

The cost goes up; the quality goes down.

Competition in the health care supply chain? It’s on life support or altogether kaput.

The “Safe Harbor” for kickbacks to the GPO middlemen has helped to cripple the marketplace.

Physicians have fewer choices when treating you, the patient.

You, the patient, pay more and get less.

 

Physicians have fewer choices when treating you, the patient. You, the patient, pay more and get less. Click To Tweet

 

How much more do you pay? How much less do you get?

The contracts are secret.

What can you do about it?

 

1. Call your lawmaker and demand the repeal of the “Safe Harbor” for kickbacks.

2. Insist that the Department of Health and Human Services use its authority to examine the contracts between GPO middlemen and suppliers and between GPO middlemen and the hospitals and nursing homes.

 

A Great Reformation can begin with you.

 

 

First published in The Intelligencer and featured here with author permission.
Marion Mass, MD

Marion Mass, MD

“If I can do this, anyone can… I am a recovering soccer mom and a community organizer with an M.D. We can and should take back the stewardship of medicine for the sake of our patients and the future!”

All opinions published on SomeDocs-Mag are the author’s and do not reflect the official position of SoMeDocs, its staff, editors. SoMeDocs is a magazine built with the safety of free expression and diverse perspectives in mind. For more information, or to submit your own opinion, please see our submission guidelines or email opmed@doximity.com. Do you have a compelling personal story you’d like to see published on SoMeDocs? Find out what we’re looking for here and submit your writing, or send us a pitch.

All opinions published on SomeDocs-Mag are the author’s and do not reflect the official position of SoMeDocs, its staff, editors. SoMeDocs is a magazine built with the safety of free expression and diverse perspectives in mind. Do you have a compelling personal story you’d like to see published on SoMeDocs? Submit your own article now here.

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This learning experience is powered by CMEfy - a platform that brings relevant CMEs to busy clinicians, at the right place and right time. Using short learning nudges, clinicians can reflect and unlock AMA PRA Category 1 Credit.

Of Interest

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Get updates and learn from the best

The Unhappy Physician

The Unhappy Physician

Daniel Paull MD explains why he thinks that despite what the public thinks, most physicians are unhappy.

Social Dissections

[SERIES] Social Dissections

Join us in a visual and audio show, where we host light conversations with some of today’s standout healthcare experts.

David Norris, MD, MBA

Negotiate as a Physician and Win

Catch this 8-part series, hosted by physician & business consultant David Norris, MD, MBA & produced by Dana Corriel, MD. Learn to be a stronger negotiator with these important tactics.

Brand Your Social Media Content in a Day

Doctors Exploring Social Media

Raw and real social media-related questions, discussed in a video collection, hosted by Dana Corriel, MD, over a casual – but fun! – virtual setting.

Olga Calof, MD

Olga Calof, MD

My philosophy of care is to personally connect with patients, so we can work together to understand their disease, how it should be treated, and how to modify lifestyle choices to live the best life possible.

Judith Hong, MD

Judith Hong, MD

A board-certified dermatologist who loves and teaches mindful art classes, dance, and Reiki.

Deborah Gutman, MD, MPH

Deborah Gutman, MD, MPH

I coach and mentor pre-health and medical students with a growth mindset for successful applications to medical school and residency.

Want More?

Be a part of our healthcare revolution. Don't miss a thing SoMeDocs publishes!

Disclaimer: SoMeDocs assumes no responsibility for the accuracy, claims, or content of the individual experts' profiles, contributions and courses. Details within posts cannot be verified. This site does not represent medical advice and you should always consult with your private physician before taking on anything you read online. See SoMeDocs' Terms of Use for more information.

follow us

© 2024 SoMeDocs. All Rights Reserved.

Soak up our content & grow

Earn CME

Drop your email address below and we’ll email you the link for earning CME (through CMEfy). Please check your spam folder if you do not receive our email. We’ll also add you to our Sunday newsletter, so you can earn more CME’s reading our content!

Support A Platform that Celebrates Real Doctors

For just $10 a month, you can help keep this openly accessible site available to all & help us sponsor in more doctors.

Interested in subscribing
to our unique content?

Interested in subscribing to our unique content?

I acknowledge that this site is not to be used for medical advice.

Play Video
Our Founder Answers Your BURNING Question

SoMeDocs

“Why should I become a member of SoMeDocs if I already have my own space online?”

Site SoMeDocs Logo, square

WANT TO STAY IN THE LOOP?

DON'T MISS A SINGLE CONTENT PIECE.